Week 4

During this week we started working on the materials for the Science Fair. It would of course be excellent if we could show something physical that we made instead of just pictures on a computer screen or printed pictures.

So that is why we started working on a 3D-model that we could print using the 3D printer at the VU Innovation Lab. What we wanted to do for this model is to add the patterns that we found to different layers and somehow connect these. This appeared to be very difficult and needed to be done by hand, but that would take dozens of hours, if not hundreds, so we had to find another way. What we did manage to do is to extrude 2D images of three different patterns and put these on top of each other.

Presentation file

In the final days of the project, we finally managed to find a way to get the 2D patterns into one solid 3D model. The specific steps are explained in detail in “Our Ultimate Scaffold’ (link: http://bones2015.weblog.tudelft.nl/our-ultimate-scaffold/).

 

Now that we had a 3D model with a closed mesh, we could make a print of it. The model consists of 5 different layers that have been put on top of each other, as explained earlier.

image2

And although a 3D-printed model is the most exciting that we can show, it is also important to show our process and give some general information to understand what we did, so we also started working on posters and a video. For the video we started making a render of the original 3D model of the cartilage. But due to the complexity of this model, the render could not be done in the time that we were at the Innovation Lab and had to be done at home in the weekend.

 

Be Sociable, Share!